Welcome to the City High Band Website!
) Wednesday, Oct. 29 – Bates Field Follies. Call time for this required event is 6:15. We will take our all band photo in the large gym at 6:45pm. Freshmen will begin the program with a brief concert. The concert begins at 7:30pm.
3) Thursday, Oct. 30 – Start of the official concert season. All students will need concert instruments, music, etc. for rehearsals on this day.
4) Sunday, November 2 – Parking lot clean-up. We will meet in the usual location at 7:00am. Students that sign up to work in a specific location must work there. If students do not go to the correct lot, attendance for the morning may not be noted. This is clean-up number 5, so students that have already attended 4 clean-ups will share equally in money received. Remember, too, that this is start of standard time. Roll your clocks back one hour before going to bed on Saturday night.
5) Ongoing. Students should have already brought home brochures for the annual music department sale. Fruit, nuts, cheese and other items are for sale, with students receiving a percentage of sales. The sale continues through Monday, November 10.
This week in City band land:
1) Friday, Oct. 10 –U of Iowa Homecoming Parade.
Call time for this event will be 4:00pm. Students can remain after school if they wish. We will dress here and load buses to take us to our staging location. Following the parade, all students will ride buses back to City high where we will have our annual full band photo taken. This will occur immediately upon arrival at school, after which all uniforms will be turned in.
2) Saturday, Oct. 11 – State Marching Band Contest (grades 10-12 only) at Kingston Stadium
Call time will be 12:45, with our performance time set for 3:15pm. Everyone rides the bus, but if parents come to the event students may return home with parents. Those riding home with parents are responsible for turning in the uniform at school upon return. They cannot be left anywhere. Our expected return time to City high is approximately 5:00pm.
3) Sunday, Oct. 12 – Parking Lot Clean-up
Our next clean-up is this Sunday. We will meet at the usual location at 7:00am. Please come out to help.
4) Tuesday-Friday – All-state check-in.
All students auditioning for all-state must play for me this week. I will hear ALL materials (etudes, solo, scales).
1) Saturday, Oct. 25 – All-state auditions in Washington.
This is crunch time for preparation. Have your child play for you. They must be able to play through both etudes completely, beginning to end. If they can’t, it is very unlikely they will be ready by the audition date. Talk to private teachers if students cannot do this.
2) Friday, Oct. 24 – Home football game.
In the past this has been our annual costume show, with students dressing up for half-time and including
freshman students in the half-time show.
3) Wednesday, October 29 – Bates Field Follies.
This indoor show serves as the official end of the marching season. The Freshman Concert Band will also perform in concert on this show.
A few reminders/updates from City High Band Land:
1. We will begin fitting for new band uniforms on this Wednesday, Sept. 24 and continue through the end of the week. You should have received a fitting schedule already, but just in case I have attached one below. There are a few things that will help in this process:
a. Please get fitted as soon as possible. Coming on Wednesday or Friday is preferable to later dates.
b. Please make certain your child knows the clothing sizes they wear. For example if boys could come knowing pant sizes (32 waist/30 inseam) and suit coat (38R), or ladies knowing dress size or pant size (8, 10), even just knowing small, medium, etc. is a help. This will provide our team a starting point.
c. Please have your students wear to the fitting shorts, t-shirts, biking pants, etc. Being able to simply slip uniform pants and/or coats over the clothing they have on will save a great deal of time.
d. Be patient. Much of this process is simply trial and error. Our parent volunteers will be working very hard with about 200 students to outfit, this takes time and cooperation.
e. Take time to thank Cindy Opitz and all of our parent volunteers, they have already put in a great deal of time in this effort, and the uniforms haven’t even arrived yet.
f. In addition to coats and pants, our uniform includes black socks, black band shoes and black gloves. We do have black gloves for sale, the cost is $3.00 per pair.
Uniform fittings will take place:
Wednesday, 9/24, 5 to 8 pm
Friday, 9/26, 5 to 8 pm
Saturday, 9/27, 10 am to 2 pm
Sunday, 9/28, 12 to 4 pm
2. The music auxiliary car wash is this Saturday, September 27. Please return all pledge sheets (with pledges) and sign up to help wash cars. Students can sign up at school for shifts. Students and parents, if they prefer, can use “Sign Up Genius” from the music auxiliary web site. You can work at either the HyVee on Dodge Street (just south of I-80) which is our preferred site, or the HyVee on 1st Avenue. Shifts run for about 2-1/2 hours from 9:00am-4:30pm.
3. Next week will be a busy one.
a. Wednesday, October 1 is our City High homecoming parade. Call time for all band students is 5:30pm at Mercer Park. We will wear our heck week (Behind the Mask) t-shirts, with jeans and gym shoes as uniform. THERE WILL BE NO REHEARSAL FOR ANYONE FOLLOWING THE PARADE.
b. Thursday (yes, Thursday), October 2 will be our next home football performance. It will be homecoming so there will be extra things happening, but essentially the same for us. Call time for all band students will be 5:30pm (a bit earlier as we will be in uniform).
c. Saturday, October 4 is the Little Hawk Marching Band Invitational. Freshmen students do not perform at this event. For upper classmen, call time will be 10:30 am, with performance at 12:15pm. There are still some volunteer slots that I will need filled (parent press box workers) as well as student (freshman) outdoor workers.