Welcome to the City High Band Website!
The Annual City High Music Department Fruit Sale distribution begins Friday afternoon from 3:30 to 6:30 pm and continues on Saturday morning from 9 am until noon. Once again, everything will be distributed from the west band room in the new addition. We don’t have any cold storage available so you will have to pick your order up during these times.
Money is collected upon delivery to the students customers and should be returned to the music office by December 16th.
Questions? Contact Mary Mahaffa at firstname.lastname@example.org or 688-1040
Our first band concert of the year is next Wednesday, December 3. This is a required event for all students, and students are required to attend the entire concert. Remember that concert dress for concert and symphony bands is black pants/skirts (ankle length), white shirt/blouse (long sleeved), black shoes, black socks/hose. For guys, a long, solid black tie is also required. Call time for concert and symphony bands is 7:00pm, wind ensemble call time is 7:20. This would be a great time to get some practice in on all band music.
There are still a few slots available for students wishing to audition for S.E.I.B.A. Honor Band.
Students must have both January 10 and January 24 completely free in order to audition. Check with Dr. M if materials are necessary.
Distribution of fruit/cheese/candy sale items will take place on Friday, December 5 in the afternoon and
on Saturday, December 6 in the morning. Please arrange to pick up all items during the distribution times.
) Wednesday, Oct. 29 – Bates Field Follies. Call time for this required event is 6:15. We will take our all band photo in the large gym at 6:45pm. Freshmen will begin the program with a brief concert. The concert begins at 7:30pm.
3) Thursday, Oct. 30 – Start of the official concert season. All students will need concert instruments, music, etc. for rehearsals on this day.
4) Sunday, November 2 – Parking lot clean-up. We will meet in the usual location at 7:00am. Students that sign up to work in a specific location must work there. If students do not go to the correct lot, attendance for the morning may not be noted. This is clean-up number 5, so students that have already attended 4 clean-ups will share equally in money received. Remember, too, that this is start of standard time. Roll your clocks back one hour before going to bed on Saturday night.
5) Ongoing. Students should have already brought home brochures for the annual music department sale. Fruit, nuts, cheese and other items are for sale, with students receiving a percentage of sales. The sale continues through Monday, November 10.
This week in City band land:
1) Friday, Oct. 10 –U of Iowa Homecoming Parade.
Call time for this event will be 4:00pm. Students can remain after school if they wish. We will dress here and load buses to take us to our staging location. Following the parade, all students will ride buses back to City high where we will have our annual full band photo taken. This will occur immediately upon arrival at school, after which all uniforms will be turned in.
2) Saturday, Oct. 11 – State Marching Band Contest (grades 10-12 only) at Kingston Stadium
Call time will be 12:45, with our performance time set for 3:15pm. Everyone rides the bus, but if parents come to the event students may return home with parents. Those riding home with parents are responsible for turning in the uniform at school upon return. They cannot be left anywhere. Our expected return time to City high is approximately 5:00pm.
3) Sunday, Oct. 12 – Parking Lot Clean-up
Our next clean-up is this Sunday. We will meet at the usual location at 7:00am. Please come out to help.
4) Tuesday-Friday – All-state check-in.
All students auditioning for all-state must play for me this week. I will hear ALL materials (etudes, solo, scales).
1) Saturday, Oct. 25 – All-state auditions in Washington.
This is crunch time for preparation. Have your child play for you. They must be able to play through both etudes completely, beginning to end. If they can’t, it is very unlikely they will be ready by the audition date. Talk to private teachers if students cannot do this.
2) Friday, Oct. 24 – Home football game.
In the past this has been our annual costume show, with students dressing up for half-time and including
freshman students in the half-time show.
3) Wednesday, October 29 – Bates Field Follies.
This indoor show serves as the official end of the marching season. The Freshman Concert Band will also perform in concert on this show.